Free background from VintageMadeForYou

30 July 2009

This needs no title other than DEF LEPPARD

Just listening to an album that changed some of my musical tastes for the rest of my life. I remember where I was the first time I saw the video for "foolin". Yes I do, I was in the living room in Mayfield in front of a coffee table that we used to hold our tv. I was sitting on the floor with my hand on the cable box (no remotes back then), and was changing the channels. I stopped on Friday Night Videos (this show was very popular in my youth), and saw Joe Elliott on a triangle sort of tied up. Ok, I knew who Def Leppard was because of my uncle. He had played the High N' Dry "tape" for me in his car. I loved the music but this was different. While it had the same guitar style, it was in a class of it's own. I watched the whole video and begged my mom for the tape. I do believe it was my uncle who ended up giving me his tape, but I can't remember. All I know is I got it and I was hooked for life (I still have this tape...doesn't work anymore just have it for the memories).

Pyromania was the 2nd best selling album of 1983...an album that you probably have not heard of but thrilled me just as much was the #1 album of that year. It was called Thriller by a fellow that goes by Michael Jackson. While Pyromania was HUGE and by most years sales, it would have been number 1 by a long shot....that other album just sort of took over. Believe it or not it sort of happened again in 1987 when Def Lep released Hysteria, Jackson did Bad and again Bad outsold it by a few million. Strange how that happened both times in both careers. Of course, the Jackson fellow sold way more than the Def Lep, and I must admit in both cases I helped that Jackson fellow by buying his products.

Over the course of time, I have had 2 pyromania LPs, 3 cassette tapes, and 2 cds. Only one of which I did not purchase myself, but all of which I have worn out, with the exception of that last cd. Compare to Hysteria and it is stranger, 1 LP, 6 cassettes, and 2 cds.

Pryomania still ranks as one of the top albums of all time for me and you know I forgot to buy the deluxe set last month because of that Jackson fellow again (this time he died). I have just now ordered it and look forward to hearing the band sing "traveling band" with Brian May. You see the set comes with the remastered cd, but also a live unreleased show from 1983, which is what I am most looking forward to hearing.

And in 10 days I go see them again. I am sure it will be just as fun and thrilling as all of the other times that I have been to see them and I look forward to it very much.

Oh, I guess that again this year, Michael Jackson will out sell the Leppards...mmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Review: The Wildest Sun