Free background from VintageMadeForYou

29 January 2023

February Book Pick

 Not a WWII book, I am trying so hard to get out of that genre...this one interested me the second I saw the cover.  As a matter of a fact, I didn't even read the synopsis, I just started reading and I am glad that I did.  Obviously, it features Memphis, TN in some way, but what you can't tell by the cover is this book covers a couple of generations of a family. I just adore these kinds of books that will take us through the lives of a family over the years.  Even though there are many characters, I believe Joan is the main one. You see things happen to Joan when she is a child and then see her become an adult that uses art to hopefully change lives.  


When I finished the book I read about it, I now see it is a debut novel (exceptionally well done, I must add) and the author said it was the type of fairy tale she wanted to read as a child.  Actually, I am going to quote the synopsis from Goodreads because it is written much better than I could.


Inspired by the author's own family history, Memphis--the Black fairy tale she always wanted to read--explores the complexity of what we pass down, not only in our families, but in our country: police brutality and justice, powerlessness and freedom, fate and forgiveness, doubt and faith, sacrifice and love.


This book is perfect for now!!! So far, it is my favorite book of the year (book #12).   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!