Free background from VintageMadeForYou

18 February 2019

Updated info on Nonresident Library cards

I have had a nonresident library card to the Free Library of Philadelphia for 3 years.  Last week I got an email that my card expires in 30 days and I need to renew if I didn't want an interruption to my service.  We have had a major lifestyle change in the last 6 months and paying for a library card seems impractical, but I felt it was necessary due to the number of books that I read and the titles at my disposal locally.  I have had 3 library cards for years and still can't get all the titles I want.  I will say I did not buy any books last year.  Most of that is due to the lifestyle change, but it still stands true.  I did figure up what I saved in using my library cards.

FLP (Free Library of Philly)--$350
Campbell County Public Library---$187
McCracken County Public Library (my local card)--$437

I came by the dollar amounts by looking the titles up on Amazon for the Kindle price if I read a Kindle book and ebook price if it was an epub. 

I feel that it is worth the money, but decided that maybe I should be more frugal so I set about trying to find a cheaper card or a card that offers even more titles. I first did a Google search and all of the information in blogs/articles was from the beginning of 2018 or before.  I needed updated info. So I began the search by looking up nonresident cards for big cities all around the USA.  I discovered that a few libraries will give you one but you must show up to get the card.  Not really what I had in mind.  A few of them had low fees but the catalog didn't include books I liked to read.  I read mostly historical fiction, books on Hollywood stars and Presidents/US history.  You may have a completely different taste selection so maybe check out the overdrive for other libraries.  The information below was obtained by visiting the library websites.


Cards you can get but need to show up in person:
Detroit Public Library
Portland Public Library
Sacramento Public Library (can get online now, but expires in 14 days without you coming into a branch with ID)
San Francisco Public Library
Los Angles Public Library
The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton Co
Lexington Public Library (for KY nonresidents)
Huntsville-Madison Co Public Library ($20 per year)
Carnegie Public Library-Pittsburgh
Willmington (Delaware) Public Library
Warren County-Kentucky (free)
Hawaii State Public Library (can renew for 5 years)

Nonresident cards available not for digital content (Physical content only):
Hennepin Co Public Library (Minneapolis)
Nashville Public Library

Not enough info on the website:
San Diego Public Library (they say it is $32 a year, but don't tell you how to get one)
Dallas Public Library ($250 for unlimited books per year but doesn't tell how to get it)
Columbus Public Library
Durham Co Public Library
Boise Public Library

No mention of a nonresident card:
Denver Public Library
Las Vegas Public Library
Salt Lake City Public Library
Memphis/Shelby Co Public Library
Indianapolis Public Library
Des Moines Public Library
Atlanta-Fulton Co Public Library
Seattle Public Library
Louisville Public Library (has one listed but only for certain KY counties $25 per year)

Not available if you don't live in that state:
Phoenix Public Library
St Louis Public Library
Chicago Public Library
Cleveland Public Library
District of Columbia Public Library
NYC Public Library

Places that offer a card and you can get it online:
Austin Public Library ($125 per year)
Houston Public Library ($40 per year) I wasn't pleased with Overdrive selections
Charlotte Public Library  ($45 per year--$35 for Senior Citizens)
Free Library of Philadelphia ($50 per year)
Brooklyn Public Library ($50 per year)
Orange County Public Library ($125 per year)

Illinois nonresident cards are all listed here and range in price. I have not investigated how to obtain the card because the fees were kind of high.

This one doesn't say who can't get a free digital one, but I have a digital-only card at the Campbell County KY.  It is a great card and like I said, it is free.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!