Free background from VintageMadeForYou

23 February 2020

Non-resident Library Cards, year 3

Every year I do a little research on which libraries across the US will give you an affordable non-resident card that you can obtain without visiting that specific library.  For many years I used the Free Library of Philadelphia, and I will tell you it has been by far my favorite for choices of books and how they not only had a large catalog, but they would also let you request items and often they would purchase it.  I am sad to report that today I discovered they no longer let you buy a non-resident card.

Last year I got a card at the Brooklyn Public Library.  I switched because BPL had many Hollywood books that I had been wanting to read for quite some time.  They have some very unique, very old titles that I had never seen before.  For the last year, I have read every Hollywood book that interested me so I was going to switch back to FLP (Free Library of Philadelphia).


Fairfax County Public Library (Virginia)--you can apply for a card online and it is $27 a year.  Here is the link to their Overdrive site if you would like to look at the catalog before you commit.


Houston Public Library-their The information listed is not clear if you have to show up in person or not to finalize the card, so I would check before you purchase.  $40 per year for a non-resident card.

Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library-It looks to me that you can do this one solely online and get instant access.  The fee is based on the current tax base and so right now it is $45 per year.

Enoch Pratt Free Library-This one seems like it could be a day or two delay because you have to download the application and email it to the library.  The current fee for non-residents is $50




There are a few more libraries with non-resident cards, but they were all over $50 which is my limit (Austin Public Library and Orange County Public Library.  After looking at the catalogs of the libraries that I found that will do non-resident, BPL has by far the most selections.  I will be renewing that card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Review: The Wildest Sun