Free background from VintageMadeForYou

25 November 2022

December book pick

 When I was a high schooler, I did enjoy the required reading of The Scarlett Letter.  I have probably read it 10 or 15 times over the last 35 years.  This book attracted me because of the cover, and then I found out it was about the inspiration behind the telling of The Scarlett Letter.   


 Isobel married for what she thought was love, to a man she thought she would love forever.  He was going to provide everything she needed and he dabbled in medicine.  Isobel was a brilliant seamstress, almost witch-like with the needle she was which was fitting as she was descended from witches.  

I won't tell you how she and her husband arrived in Salem, but they did.  They lived in a little cottage in a town that once murdered "witches". Here is where Isobel meets Nathaniel Hawthorne and the sparks fly, the townspeople mention witchcraft and a book is born.  

That's it, I will tell you no more.....just read this, it is a scandalous tale in so many ways, and beautifully written.  The cover is equally attractive....look at this gorgeous thing!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!