Free background from VintageMadeForYou

25 November 2022

November Book Pick

 It is no secret that I am a big fan of Gill Paul.  I think I have loved every book she has written.  My favorite is still the one about Wallis Simpson and Diana Spencer, The Other Woman's Husband, but I think this one might be my second favorite.  I simply love to read about this time period, the Jazz Age.  This book is about four women, three of which are writers, and one is an actress, that forges a deep friendship over a game of bridge.  

They each have different experiences with romance and careers, but their lives still intertwine at every intersection and with every relationship.  Three of the women have their lives more together than Dorothy Parker does, and they seem to always be there to help her in the latest crisis.  Dorothy is pretty much all about sex, booze, and jazz, and every once in a while she puts together some brilliant writing.  


I could not help thinking the whole time I was reading this, if Dorothy really lived this hard, I just can't imagine how she ever wrote a thing.  




Oh, one more thing, one of the girls in this novel, in real life co-founded The New Yorker.  I found that fascinating.   ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!