Free background from VintageMadeForYou

12 May 2013

The Whitman Sampler makeover

Since I was a very small child, I have ADORED Whitman's Samplers. It has only been in recent years that I have felt I am worthy of the $10 per box price tag.  I have been saving all the boxes because they are such high quality boxes. With the encouragement and idea of a friend of mine, I have been making them as Blessing Boxes.  The recipient would put blessings, prayer requests, or general thoughts into the box.  At the end of the year the box is opened and you read through all of your papers.  Were your prayers answered?  Did you remember how blessed you were?  Are you grateful for what God has given you?

You could also share the box with a friend and you two read through each others....which is what my friend and I plan on doing. 

This Mother's Day weekend, I decided I would decorate 4 of them.   This also prepares me for a class that I plan on teaching at one of our local places (I plan on doing a blog entry about this awesome place soon, I just need some photos), Ephemera Paducah (don't you just LOVE that name?)

Oh I get sidetracked so easily, these boxes are done in 4 different styles. I tried to be as far apart as I could be in the themes of each box.


Box #1-Down Memory Lane. Like McCall's or Buttericks.  Boy does this theme take me back to my childhood.  My mom would let us look at the pattern books at Hancock's.  She would let us pick out the fabric and buttons and she would whip us up with a new dress!  This box takes me right back to those days.  I have used some vintage items from my Mom-in-law's sewing basket.  A pink zipper, lace, buttons, a tape measure, a needle and thread, pins, and snaps on the original card. The paper used is Lucille by Basic Grey (the calico reminds me of the fabric mom would have used to make dresses for me-actually this paper looks very much like the fabric of the dress I am wearing in my first grade picture) and Bountiful by Creative Memories. 

Box #2-Owl watch over you.  This one is a paper piecing and took HOURS!  I did not draw out patterns for the owl, tree, or moon. I just cut.  The paper is Que Sera Ra by K&Co.  This box has almost a flat appearance, but if you look closely at the box you can see all the layers of paper. Flowers by Prima.  Black pen by Sharpie.




















Box #3-Be creative.  I painted this girl onto paper and didn't know what to do with her.  I got this great stamp from Tim Holtz that featured angel type wings.  It was perfect for the girl.  This box features stamps by Hampton Arts, Tim Holtz, and Technique Tuesday.  Die cuts from K&Co, flowers by Prima.  Embossing Powder by Stampendous.  This girl makes me happy because she is feel to do what she wants in her artwork...yeah she's me.  Patterned paper is Wild Raspberry by K&Co.
















Box #4-God's Blessings.  Butterflies and birds fly all over the beautiful summer flowers.  What an amazing gift God has given us.  We should take time to reflect on the beauty in this world and not the negative.  Doily a found object.  Bird and table chipboard by Pink Paislee.  Flowers by Prima.  Card was given to me by my friend.


The greatest thing about altering something is you don't have to do it like anyone else's. You can use your creative nature to creative whatever.  Maybe you box will not be a Blessings box.  Maybe yours will hold love letters....maybe jewelry....maybe greeting cards.   Maybe you will take off the lid and use the box to display items you collect.  Maybe you want to keep some of the integrity of the original box.  Think outside the box.  Don't let anyone limit what YOU like.

If you decide altering a box is for you and live in Paducah, you can come to my workshop on June 6.  I will show you how and hopefully how to free your spirit.














1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love them all but boxes 2 and 3 are my favorite. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!