Free background from VintageMadeForYou

06 March 2019

Review: American Duchess: A Novel of Consuelo Vanderbilt

American Duchess: A Novel of Consuelo Vanderbilt American Duchess: A Novel of Consuelo Vanderbilt by Karen Harper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First of all, I have seen photos of Consuelo and she was a vision of loveliness. I was super excited to get this book because of the photos I had seen because I knew nothing about her. When I read the book, I did not like the mother. A typical woman that pushes her child into something that she doesn't want to do (marriage) for status and a title. A common move in those times, but I still hate it. Time seemed to move at a regular pace after the marriage but escalated after that. I am not sure I liked that part and I believe that is what kept me from granting a 5-star rating. Time was moving with the pace of the book and then all of the sudden we skipped to 10 years ahead.

Other than that part, I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed how a Duchess can get out of a loveless marriage and find that true lifelong, fated love. I LOVED the Winston Churchill parts. I loved everything about him, to me he was a secondary character after the Duchess and I enjoyed every second we got to spend with him. Ivor was my third favorite character.

This book didn't blow me away, but it was nice.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!