Free background from VintageMadeForYou

30 December 2018

How I have a cleanish home

My attention span is short. I cannot help that I am wired this way.  I try hard all the time to stay on task.  I give myself assignments, memorization techniques and goals.  I write them down or type into my phone to hold me accountable.  A schedule is the best thing for me.  I've discovered as I age that deviating from the schedule does not make me freak out as it used to, but I much prefer my routine.

The first thing I created was rules.  I like rules. There is a clear expectation of what is expected and I know once the required is finished all the time that is left is MY time.  That is it!  The reward.  Get the work done first and then all the time you have left is YOUR time.  I have found not only do I feel better knowing my work is done, but I have longer to "play" and enjoy that extra time.

Rules
1.  Today's work gets done before you play
2. Daily jobs are split up over the week so that one whole day is not spent cleaning or doing laundry
3. I keep a checklist in my calendar or on a notepad so I know what I have done.  As I mark off daily tasks I have a sense of accomplishment
4.  Today's tasks can be bumped until tomorrow due to an event that is unavoidable, but not more than one day (unless you are sick).
5.  Don't look at it as a chore. Look at this as maintaining your home and family, and having time for your sanity.

The following information is how I get it all done. It is not perfect, but I feel like I am doing a good job.  Not a GREAT job, a good job. I am not striving for perfection just for functionality and time with the family and craft time.  Craft time is very important to my mental happiness. 

About our house:
1.  We have a 3 bedroom, 2 baths, 3 car garage 2000 square foot house.  We chose small so we could vacation, so if you have a larger home (and you probably do,) you may need to tweak my ideas if you are going to use them.
2, I do 95% of the inside work in our home and only about 5% outside (yard).
3.  I am the home repairman so I have to allow time for repairs.
4.  I am not a great housekeeper.  What we have is a functional mess.  I figure I can have a showplace once all the kids are gone and I retire...for now I am content to have things done and LIVE.
5.  I am not a great duster (worst duster ever). I may swipe at it every once in a while but I have limited knick knacks down to just a little so I don't have to worry about that.  I dust the tvs when I think of it. I do not dust the kid's rooms, they are old enough to do their own.  On that line, I don't even clean their rooms...they are more than old enough to clean their own rooms if it is important to them.




I have developed a routine for my home in regards to housework.  I know I have shared bits and pieces before today I plan in sharing the whole shebang.  THE SCHEDULE!!



Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Clean out litter box
Clean out litter box
Clean out litter box
Clean out litter box
Clean out litter box
Clean out litter box
Clean out litter box
Clean kitchen
Clean kitchen
Clean kitchen
Clean kitchen
Clean kitchen
Deep clean kitchen day, clean thoroughly today
Clean kitchen
Clean kitchen
Laundry (wash and fold)


Laundry (wash and fold)  Sort into baskets

Laundry (wash and fold)


Clean hall




Drop off any dry cleaning (If applicable)


Pick up dry cleaning (if applicable)



Prepare supper calendar for next week
Make a couple of meals for the week and menu planner for the week







Declutter living room (make kids put away video games and toys)

Declutter around house





Sweep floors (I have hard wood floors they are mopped as needed swept every Tuesday)










Clean day---hall bath-everything
Master bath-everything
Kitchen, utility, bath floors mopped

Vacuum Living room (if needed)


Vacuum Living room (if needed)


Vacuum Living room (if needed)
Ironing (I do not have much, this may need to be bumped to another day if you have loads)







Jumpstart any Wednesday cleaning you have time for

Jumpstart on any Friday cleaning you have time for

Jumpstart on an Sunday afternoon cleaning that you have time for
I know my system won't work for everyone and maybe even no one else but me.  I just hope my system encourages you to be all you can be.  Have an order in the world of chaos and time for yourself and family (and crafts).


One more time with my motto....get what you have to do done and then you can play the rest of the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Review: The Wildest Sun