Free background from VintageMadeForYou

25 March 2020

Carpet isn't my bag


(This post will be updated as we tear the carpet from our new home)



I am not really into having wall to wall carpet in my house.  First of all, it traps dust making it hard on my allergies. The pile tends to look matted and you can just feel the germs and I just hate to be barefoot on it, or even walk on it with socks for that matter because your socks will get nasty.  I had read once that chances are good when you buy or rent a house with existing carpet you get all kinds of things from previous owners/renters, like toenail clippings and I know for sure it traps all that cat hair and makes it harder to clean if they vomit.  Yeah, I am done.


 Most of the houses we looked at had carpet throughout the place.  The one we purchased was full of it.  My goal was to get rid of much of that as I could.    I had no idea what was under ours.  I only knew the main part of our house was built in 1967, that COULD be good because there possibly would be hardwood under some of this stuff.  The first addition was built in the 1980s so chances were great that there was nothing but sub-floor under there.  And the last addition was built in the 2000s, and I know what is under there because I saw photos of the construction on old realtor listing sites....all sub-floor.  The last addition didn't bother me as much because it is evident that Trevor is the only person to "live" on that floor, both by the listings and the newness smell of the room.  I think it was just finished recently.  Carpet appears to be in perfect shape.


This post will grow longer as I tear this stuff up and redo the floors under this mess.

The grossest part to me was the carpet in the master bathroom.  As of today that is still down because I have to get money to purchase new flooring for that room.  I am looking at vinyl planks online but I want to see them in person.  Right now our country is going through this pandemic so installing flooring is really not something I want to tackle at the moment.


All the bedrooms have a carpet that is obviously older looking than the main house and the 80s addition, so I wanted to start with those, plus I slept better in a room without carpet (allergies).

March 20, 2020
We started in the closet room because I wanted to see what we were about to get into.   When we started ripping it up, the carpet tore easily.  It was full of dust (and I did find a fingernail) and was hard to breathe, I will wear a mask next time.  We tore the carpet in sections and ripped it up that way.  It was easier to manage and easier to put in the trash can.  We tore it in about 5 strips, as we got to the last strip, we saw the damage.  It looks like old termite damage to four boards.  I am pretty sure I can fix this so stay tuned because as I type this, it is the first morning and we are still in a pandemic so I can't get the wood I need.  I am going to finish ripping up the tack strips and covered the bad spots with a carpet until I can finish this project.  It took about 1 hour to get the carpet out, it is (and expected) to take much longer for the strips and the staples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!