Free background from VintageMadeForYou

14 April 2020

Reading with Michelle-online book club January through April

In January I started a book club on Facebook.  I decided to pick a book every month and you could read along, or pick and choose what you wanted to read or whatever.  It is your club, do what you like, I am just providing some guidance.  I did not think of adding it to my blog until now..so here it goes.

January's pick was a beautiful book.  I admit I picked it because I LOVE the cover, but also because I had seen advertisements saying it was going to be GREAT.  I admit I had no idea what it was about because I rarely read the synopsis on a book cover.  The book is about Selina who seems to have it all.  She does fall for a penniless young man, but of course she has to marry the rich guy because that is what people in her social class do.  The book will take you through her love affair with the painter, and her marriage and then up to a death.  It was beautiful!!





February's book was almost as good as January's pick. I admit I was inspired to pick this because Jenna Bush Hager said it was fabulous, but also because the cover looked so fun.  Ok, that is where the fun ended, Edward is the sole survivor of a plane crash.  This book talks about how he copes with this life knowing he is the only one to make it.  It also zig zags back to the day of the plane crash.  You get to know many of the passengers and see what rescue workers experienced when they found the wreckage and how they felt about finding Edward.





March started this whole Covid 19 thing.   I was looking for something that would be an escape from what was happening to take over life, no thoughts, just words and hopefully a good story.  March's pick was the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.  I was attracted to it because it said it had an old Hollywood/Elizabeth Taylor idea.  I loved that idea.  Evelyn pretty much summed up what I thought Elizabeth was like in terms of husbands, pretty much changed at the drop of a hat.  Evelyn married for reasons every time though, love, convenience, a child, but she never married her true love.  You do get to experience what her life was like with the love of her life and why they broke up and what life or fate had in store for them later.  While it was different than I expected, I did like it and there was a twist I was NOT expecting. I love twists.


April's book dropped a little early because of the Covid 19 virus, and because everything was off kilter I dropped two books in April.  Woo hoo!  The first one was They called it Camelot by Stephanie Marie Thornton.  I love her books!  She always tends to choose a topic that interests me and I tend to devour her books in a day or two.  This one I read last year and could not wait for it to be released so I could share it with the world.  It is all about Jackie Kennedy and her meeting, courtship and life with JFK.  The conversations they have make you feel like you were there with them watching their relationship unfold.  It was kind of magical and it was a bit like I thought their relationship would be. I think any Kennedy or Jackie fan would love this, maybe someone that doesn't know much about the Kennedy family would too because this is a great fresh take on how they operate and how much family means to them.

My second pick for April was Recipe for the  Perfect Wife by Karma Brown.  OH WOW!! I simply could not put this one down.  It takes place in two time periods.  One is Alice in present day.  She and her husband, Nate just bought this cute little house in the suburbs.  Alice immediately finds boxes of vintage 1955 stuff in the basement and her life will change dramatically because of that box.  The other timeline is the 1955 story, which takes place in the same house.  The box of stuff in Alice's basement belonged to Nellie, who in 1955 was married to Richard.  I did predict what would happen,  but I still LOVED it!  I adored this book!





If you want to join  the club, find us on Facebook. May's book will be coming soon.   
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!