Free background from VintageMadeForYou

24 April 2020

A book journal and other musings

Good Morning from Kentucky!

We are working hard on staying healthy at home but with all the cheesecake and cookie-baking, along with all the pots of macaroni and cheese, we are running out of butter.  It is not a desperate situation yet, but we are getting close.  What is getting to a desperate level is the lack of cleaning wipes.  I don't use them to clean the house, but I do use them to clean my Cricut mats, have you ever tried that?  They are great for cleaning off little bits of paper and reviving the stickiness of the mat.  If you have a better method, I am all ears because I cannot buy these wipes anywhere.

I wanted to talk to you today about reading not so much about cleaning wipes.  I have been keeping a reading journal since 1996.  This was necessary for me because I read so many books I could not remember what each book was about, not even to mention the title or author's name.  At first, I just recorded the name of the book and the author's name along with the dates read.  I started adding a smiley face if I enjoyed the read and did not record any abandoned books.  This was the source of my recordings for about 15 years.  As a matter of fact, most of it was recorded in a single journal book that I started in 1996.  I have done a post with it before, but it is worth a revisit, here is that very first reading journal. (My handwriting is atrocious)




Once I got an e-reader my reading doubled from what it had been and I needed a better system. I started a graph for my book part and an excel spreadsheet too.




The spreadsheet calculates how many books I have read for that year, how many of all time, how many of that year were paper, ebook or audio, and how many of all time were paper, ebook, and audio.  I love the stats part.  This system does not give me a clue as to what the book was about, it is purely for that stats thing I love.


My paper journal evolved around that time as well, I started keeping more details and looking online for a good system.  I discovered Modern Mrs. Darcy's blog.  She had a free journal that she gave you, I took it and redid it for the things that I wished to retain.  I made this one in pages and printed it on cardstock, then bound it in a book that I wished to retain forever.  I used it for a few years but decided I really wanted to have it in a journal type book with a leather cover. I took apart a leather bound book amd inserted my own pages, but it still wasn't what I wanted.

 I looked into having a moleskin book printed with my journal blocks, but that was too expensive.  I mentioned it to my friend Amy that I needed a system and she said: "make a stamp".  PERFECT!! That is just what I did. I got the stamp on Amazon for $15....worth every dime.  Here is what that looks like, both the stamp and how it looks stamped on my page.



I am currently using a leather-bound owl book with deckle pages and it is working out great for me.

If only I could stamp straight.   Nope, I shall always do things a little off kilter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!