Free background from VintageMadeForYou

09 January 2019

Review: The Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding

The Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding The Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding by Jennifer Robson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am not even sure how to start this review. I am still a little bit of in the "oh I can't believe that is over phase."

From the first chapter, I was sucked into the story that takes you through a period in time of the lives of three woman. Ann and Miriam are in a post-war England. Struggling to make peace with who they are and how to survive in this new world. Heather is in modern-day and she too struggles with her job and a secret in the past.

They all meet men who will change the course of their lives in some unexpected ways.

This is a beautiful novel. England is not very pretty during much of the time we are visiting. It suffers from The Blitz and England is still suffering the effects of the war, but we don't dwell on hardships, we see a beautiful friendship and a country very excited about a royal wedding. I loved that Jennifer spun a story where we could imagine what the workroom looked like, I could even envision the embroidery as she was describing it in every detail. I could see war-torn London and I could feel the pain the girls experienced as they try to rebuild for the future.

Warning: I could not put this book down once I started...so you may need to plan accordingly.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. I have never been a history fan but even though it is fiction this book made me feel like I was right there at the Royal Wedding way back then. These historical fiction books are enticing me to go back and study up on history during these time periods.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!