Free background from VintageMadeForYou

17 August 2019

Review: The Chelsea Girls

The Chelsea Girls The Chelsea Girls by Fiona Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book started off as the usual WWII book that I read. Girls and boys overseas fighting a war in a few theaters while the rest of our country is at home doing what they can to help the war effort. This time some girls join up with the USO to give the troops a little entertainment. The girls forge a friendship that lasts after the war. Then we see the girls join back into their old lives and forge new ones. Hazel, who wrote the USO shows longs to be a writer right here in NYC. She moves into the Chelsea Hotel, a place where artists can live with no prejudice and lots of support. She moves right into an entertainment industry that is in turmoil because of Joseph McCarthy and the HUAC (House of Un-American Committee). Maxine, her former USO pal, moves back to NYC too and joins Hazel's play. Now I can't tell you any more about this one because I don't want to ruin it for you. Hazel, Maxine, their men, their fellow cast members will all get tangled in with the HUAC in some way. You will get a glimpse into the future so you will find out what happens with the characters from the time we meet them in the '40s to the end of their life. I did very much enjoy this book but only gave it 4 stars because I felt it wasn't as vivid as Fiona's other books. It is a good read though.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Review: The Wildest Sun