Free background from VintageMadeForYou

08 October 2018

Review: Mildred Pierce

Mildred Pierce Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I re-read this book once again as it had been a while since I read the book. I had forgotten how hard it is to put down. How much I would like to smack Mildred for giving in to Veda and how much I would like to punch Veda for being such an arrogant punk head. I really like the Mildred character overall because she knew at the beginning of the book that her world was crashing down on her head, and she was the only one that could change it (and she could make her daughter happy in the process, which probably fueled her more than need). Mildred set out to make a success and did it. Her downfall was Veda. Pleasing Veda, catering to Veda, loving Veda at the expense for everything else. While very similar to the movie (you need to see it if you haven't), it has vast differences too so don't expect them to be identical (when is the book like the film?)



old review: I was revisiting some favorites this week. I love the book more than the film, but I LOVE the film. see how I feel about the book? a bit different than the film...tell me which you prefer? this is my favorite Crawford role but in both film and written word, Mildred is a strong woman and very hard working. a great Character either way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!