Free background from VintageMadeForYou

16 September 2018

Hoopla and other digital resources for free books

I am back to talk to you about Hoopla, and other digital resources to get free books to read.

Hoopla:
I have been using Hoopla for a few years with my FLP (Free Library of Philadelphia) card, and I was super pumped when my local library got it.  I switched my account over to McLIb (McCracken County Public Library) and saw that I got two more checkouts per month than I did with FLP.  I got four with the FLP and now got six, and I use them all.

Hoopla offers audio books, digital titles, and music (maybe more this is just what I use).  You can check titles out RIGHT NOW with no wait!! YES, I said "NO WAIT".

You can access Hoopla in many ways:
1. Hoopla digital in google search
2. The Hoopla app
3.  Going to your local library website and look for their digital downloads sections and look for Hoopla---I recommend this one for the first time, that way if your library offers any tips or tricks you can get them before you proceed.

You will have to make an account so do that now.  Don't forget you will need your library card number (and pin, if applicable).  You will also need the name of your library branch (you cannot access this without a library card).

Once you get all signed in you are ready to go.

Hoopla has a super friendly interface so I won't describe that too much (but if you have questions, just ask).  Type in the name of the book/audio/music you want and hit "borrow", and then you can hit "play" and listen.   On the app, it is just as easy to check out and play titles. The only difference is on the mobile app you have the option to download the music/book/audio to listen or read offline (this will save data for you).

I am going to encourage you to visit the "Help" section of the Hoopla to see the devices that you can use (like Alexa, Apple Tv), one thing you can't do is use your Kindle (a dedicated Kindle reader-you can use a Kindle Fire where you can download the Hoopla app).  




Other Digital ways to get books from a library--see if your library offers them
There are many others, these are just the ones I know about because of my library cards

1.  BookFlix-a great resources for digital kids books
2.  Freading-I do use this one a bit
3. RB Digital-my third favorite place to get titles



There are a couple of other resources just on the internet (no library card required), but I am all about using that library card so I won't spend much time here.
1. Project Gutenberg- Public domain titles, there are some gems, but you have to search
2. archive.org-where I download old radio shows to listen to at work or in the car

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!