Free background from VintageMadeForYou

13 September 2018

Review: Lafayette in the Somewhat United States

Lafayette in the Somewhat United States Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was a tad apprehensive about reading this book.
1. I had never read anything by the author
2. The cover didn't thrill me
3. I like Lafayette and wanted to keep liking him.

I am happy to say that the first 2 on my list didn't matter because from the first page, I was captivated. The author wove history around modern day experiences and places. She very successfully connected the past with the present and took a road trip in the process. What a brilliant move!

She is correct that most folks don't know about Lafayette. Don't realize how vital he and his friends were to America gaining independence, but this book could help them understand where all the Lafayette Square are Lafayette Drives across got their name.

That brings me to #3 on my list. I still like the Marquis de Lafayette. I like him a lot and I am so grateful to him and all his friend's sacrifices so we could become a nation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!